The Tier List
God Tier [Highest Influence]:
Mid-Lane Gods: Ahri, Lux, Talon, Zed
Jungle Gods: Udyr, Master Yi, Xin Zhao
Marksman Gods: Ezreal, Graves, Corki, Lucian, Kog’Maw
Top Lane Gods: Malphite, Quinn, Trundle, Pantheon
Support Gods: Janna, Blitzcrank, Nautilus
Tier 1 [Strong/Preferred Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Anivia, Twisted Fate, Morgana, Malzahar, Annie, Vel’Koz, Corki, Kayle, Quinn, Diana, Zyra, Brand, Lulu (AP), Fizz, Gangplank
Jungle: Elise, Amumu, Rammus, Diana, Fiddlesticks, Volibear, Sejuani, Skarner, Wukong, Shyvana, Poppy, Warwick, Vi, Quinn, Zac, Nidalee, Jax, Graves
Marksman: Quinn, Jinx, Miss Fortune, Twitch, Kalista
Top Lane: Nautilus, Fiora, Wukong, Kayle, Sion, Nasus, Dr. Mundo, Gangplank, Renekton, Garen, Jarvan IV, Cho’gath, Zac, Darius, Tahm Kench, Poppy, Swain, Volibear, Shen
Support: Soraka, Sona, Nami, Alistar, Taric, Leona, Trundle, Brand, Braum
Tier 2 [Viable/Balanced Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Cho’Gath, Karthus, Yasuo, Viktor, Wukong, Galio, Katarina, Ziggs, Vladimir, Orianna, Xerath, Heimerdinger, Lissandra, Veigar, Kennen, Leblanc, Kassadin, Swain, Karma, Zilean, Jayce, Pantheon, Syndra, Azir, Cassiopeia
Jungle: Nocturne, Ekko, Trundle, Dr. Mundo, Tahm Kench, Shaco, Hecarim, Kindred, Rek’Sai, Lee Sin, Maokai, Kayle, Malphite, Sion, Fizz, Aatrox, Nunu, Nautilus, Jarvan IV, Tryndamere, Pantheon, Evelynn, Kha’Zix, Cho’Gath, Irelia
Marksman: Vayne, Tristana, Draven, Ashe, Sivir, Caitlyn, Kindred, Varus, Jhin
Top Lane: Tryndamere, Irelia, Yasuo, Teemo, Riven, Kennen, Gnar, Singed, Illaoi, Lissandra, Jax, Akali, Vladimir, Diana, Hecarim, Aatrox, Olaf, Lulu, Rek’Sai, Xin Zhao, Morgana, Maokai, Yorick, Heimerdinger, Karma, Malzahar, Jayce, Rengar, Nidalee, Galio, Fizz, Warwick, Udyr, Lee Sin, Viktor, Vi
Support: Tahm Kench, Thresh, Poppy, Vel’Koz, Zilean, Lulu, Morgana, Zyra, Lux, Shen, Bard, Annie, Sion, Karma
Tier 3 [Needs Higher Skill/Knowledge Than Usual]:
Mid-Lane: Ezreal (AP), Ekko, Nidalee, Akali, Kog’maw (AP), Varus, Teemo, Ryze, Master Yi, Gragas, Jarvan IV, Ezreal (AD), Urgot, Sona, Jhin, Mordekaiser, Tahm Kench, Riven, Fiddlesticks, Kha’Zix, Malphite, Evelynn,Leona, Elise, Tristana (AP)
Jungle: Gragas, Rengar, Olaf, Nasus, Gangplank, Fiora, Zed, Malzahar, Karthus, Leona, Riven, Darius, Shen, Yorick, Garen, Alistar
Marksman: Kennen, Mordekaiser, Urgot, Twisted Fate, Thresh
Top Lane: Rumble, Ekko, Zed, Cassiopeia, Ryze, Gragas, Mordekaiser, Master Yi, Kha’Zix, Talon, Karthus, Shyvana, Urgot, Kassadin, Azir, Alistar, Leblanc, Vayne, Nunu, Elise, Braum, Taric
Support: Volibear, Malphite, Veigar, Xerath, Gragas, Maokai, Kayle, Kennen, Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Nidalee,Pantheon, Ashe, Anivia, Teemo, Lee Sin, Gangplank
Tier 4 [Low Benefits for Effort Used]:
Mid-Lane: Soraka, Janna
Top Lane: Rammus, Soraka
Support: Orianna, Elise, Galio, Syndra, Yorick, Lissandra, Leblanc
Instructions and Caveats:
- Champions in BOLD I will talk about shortly
- Champions UNDERLINED may be over/undervalued, but aren’t/haven’t played enough for me to make a better judgement.
- Within each tier the champions are strongest from left to right, but within a tier each champion’s strength isrelatively close. This is especially true for Tiers 2 and 3 where these champions are ALL highly playable and player dependent on how strong they are in-game.
- This tier list takes data from ALL players; however, since the majority of players fall in the first three tiers, the majority of data points will come from there.
- Win Rates are important in analyzing each champion’s strength, but are not the end-all criteria for any champion’s position.
- The creator of this list is diamond, so there may be some personal bias towards higher tier play on certain champions.
- Alistar [Tier 1 Support] – The nerf to his healing power hit the cow quite hard this patch. However, the increase in his engagement reliability has made him entirely playable for players without large amounts of Alistar experience as well. In his current state, Alistar is extremely balanced and a jack-of-all-trades. His ability to fit into both hard engage and poke compositions allows him to be reliably selected as an early pick, but he’s not particularly overpowered in one particular area.
- Ezreal [God Tier Marksman] – Surprisingly, Ezreal did not receive a single nerf this patch around. As a result, he continues to cement his place as one of the tankier marksman on the rift that deals significant amounts of burst damage as well.
- Graves [Tier 1 Jungle] – In comparison, Graves is one marksman that Riot hit hard in terms of his jungle clear speed. In lane, hitting the second part of his Q is not always a necessity or a possibility. However, in the jungle it is a staple part of his clear speed that is always factored into his damage. Because of the nerf to this, Graves’ jungle experiences significant reduction in clear time and ends up taking a bit more damage than before as well.
- Jhin [Tier 2 Marksman] – As players get more proficient in what Jhin can and cannot do, it appears that Jhin is approximately balanced as far as marksman go. He’s still a very niche pick for experienced Jhin players, but he’s definitely playable. I don’t see any particular reason to pick up over other marksman unless you’re playing some sort of long-range Xerath/Jhin sniping composition, but he’s definitely fun.
- Karma [Tier 2 Top] – I’d like to take a moment to talk about Karma since I’m sure a lot of you stat hounds are staring at her rising win rate wondering why she’s not placed higher. First of all, Karma is barely played top or mid, so when she does get played, it is generally by someone very experienced in playing her. Additionally, she’s generally selected as a counterpick against kitable melee champions.
- Kog’Maw [God Tier Marksman] – The latest buff to Kog’Maw shifted his power all to his Bio-Arcane Barrage (W) instead of forcing him to choose between picking up points in his Q or maxing his self-peel/waveclear on his E. Now, Kog’Maw’s build path is an extremely straight-forward W/E max, and allows him to reach his peak power spikes earlier in the game. As many people can probably attest to, it is difficult to judge whether you’ll win 1v1 against the fountain of doom, but when you realize you can’t it is generally too late to back out.
- Pantheon [God Tier Top] – Continuously surging top lane, Pantheon’s definitely one of those win lane, win game type champions that always pops back up after a while. He’s extremely burst oriented, and deceptively tanky as a result of his passive blocks. Additionally, he works well against would-be tower diving opponents, and is quite adept at tower diving himself. As a result, Pantheon can quickly snowball games in team’s favor.
- Poppy [Tier 1 Top] – Nerfs to Poppy were slight, but enough to keep her with winning some duels she’d otherwise come out on top on.
- Talon [God Tier Mid] – Many people at higher divisions wonder about Talon mid as a god tier champion. To them, it seems like Talon has some very obvious weaknesses via counterpicks. However, at most divisions, nobody would think of playing Kennen or Riven in a way that would actually prevent Talon from farming during laning phase. Additionally, ward coverage in most divisions is sparse enough to allow for a roam or two to snowball him to victory.
- Udyr [God Tier Jungle] – Similar to Ezreal, it is somewhat surprising that Udyr wasn’t nerfed this patch either. The FOTM report is still pending, but should be Coming Soon (TM).
- Xin Zhao [God Tier Jungle] – Xin Zhao’s latest buffs were quite kind to him, and it appears that until Guinsoo’s Rageblade gets nerfed, he’ll maintain dominance on the leaderboards.