The Tier List
God Tier [Highest Influence]:
Mid-Lane Gods: Brand, Anivia, Ahri, Lux, Twisted Fate
Jungle Gods: Dr. Mundo, Rammus, Jax
Marksman Gods: Miss Fortune, Vayne
Top Lane Gods: Dr. Mundo, Hecarim, Malphite, Tahm Kench
Support Gods: Soraka, Blitzcrank, Janna, Brand
Tier 1 [Strong/Preferred Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Malzahar, Kayle, Fizz, Vel’Koz, Swain, Annie, Diana, Karthus, Morgana, Cho’Gath, Zyra, Yasuo, Quinn, Lulu (AP), Lissandra, Wukong
Jungle: Amumu, Udyr, Nocturne, Vi, Xin Zhao, Maokai, Zac, Hecarim, Lee Sin, Kindred, Volibear, Tahm Kench, Skarner
Marksman: Graves, Kalista, Tristana, Jinx, Draven
Top Lane: Irelia, Renekton, Shen, Jax, Kayle, Wukong, Lissandra, Jarvan IV, Fiora, Quinn, Rengar, Pantheon, Tryndamere, Gangplank, Darius, Cho’gath, Gnar, Zac, Nasus, Singed, Diana, Swain, Trundle, Aatrox, Volibear
Support: Sona, Nami, Taric, Nautilus, Leona, Braum, Tahm Kench, Thresh
Tier 2 [Viable/Balanced Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Talon, Galio, Katarina, Ziggs, Vladimir, Kog’maw (AP), Varus, Orianna, Xerath, Heimerdinger, Veigar, Kennen, Gangplank, Viktor, Leblanc, Kassadin, Jayce, Ekko, Karma, Pantheon, Cassiopeia, Corki, Mordekaiser
Jungle: Sejuani, Shyvana, Master Yi, Rek’Sai, Kayle, Warwick, Elise, Malphite, Ekko, Sion, Fizz, Poppy, Wukong, Shaco, Aatrox, Nunu, Nautilus, Jarvan IV, Rengar, Fiddlesticks, Trundle, Tryndamere, Pantheon, Evelynn, Cho’Gath, Irelia
Marksman: Lucian, Corki, Ashe, Sivir, Quinn, Caitlyn, Kindred, Varus, Ezreal, Twitch, Kog’Maw
Top Lane: Garen, Kennen, Vladimir, Riven, Olaf, Yasuo, Teemo, Lulu, Rek’Sai, Sion, Nautilus, Akali, Poppy, Xin Zhao, Morgana, Maokai, Yorick, Heimerdinger, Karma, Malzahar, Jayce, Nidalee, Galio, Fizz, Warwick, Zed, Udyr, Lee Sin, Viktor, Vi
Support: Vel’Koz, Lulu, Morgana, Alistar, Zyra, Shen, Bard, Annie, Lux, Karma, Xerath,
Tier 3 [Needs Higher Skill/Knowledge Than Usual]:
Mid-Lane: Ezreal (AP), Syndra, Azir, Zed, Nidalee, Akali, Zilean, Teemo, Ryze, Master Yi, Gragas, Jarvan IV, Ezreal (AD), Urgot, Sona, Tahm Kench, Riven, Fiddlesticks, Kha’Zix, Malphite, Evelynn, Leona, Elise, Tristana (AP)
Jungle: Diana, Gragas, Olaf, Nidalee, Kha’Zix, Nasus, Karthus, Gangplank, Fiora, Zed, Malzahar, Leona, Riven, Darius, Shen, Yorick, Garen, Alistar
Marksman: Kennen, Mordekaiser, Urgot, Twisted Fate, Thresh
Top Lane: Rumble, Ryze, Ekko, Cassiopeia, Gragas, Mordekaiser, Master Yi, Kha’Zix, Talon, Karthus, Shyvana, Urgot, Kassadin, Azir, Alistar, Leblanc, Vayne, Nunu, Elise, Braum, Taric
Support: Volibear, Malphite, Veigar, Trundle, Zilean, Gragas, Maokai, Kayle, Kennen, Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Nidalee, Pantheon, Ashe, Anivia, Teemo, Lee Sin, Gangplank
Tier 4 [Low Benefits for Effort Used]:
Mid-Lane: Soraka, Janna
Top Lane: Rammus, Soraka
Support: Orianna, Poppy, Elise, Galio, Syndra, Yorick, Lissandra, Leblanc
Instructions and Caveats:
- Champions in BOLD I will talk about shortly
- Champions UNDERLINED may be over/undervalued, but aren’t/haven’t played enough for me to make a better judgement.
- Within each tier the champions are strongest from left to right, but within a tier each champion’s strength isrelatively close. This is especially true for Tiers 2 and 3 where these champions are ALL highly playable and player dependent on how strong they are in-game.
- This tier list takes data from ALL players; however, since the majority of players fall in the first three tiers, the majority of data points will come from there.
- Win Rates are important in analyzing each champion’s strength, but are not the end-all criteria for any champion’s position.
- The creator of this list is diamond, so there may be some personal bias towards higher tier play on certain champions.
- Dr. Mundo [God Tier Jungle] – With the new masteries, Mundo’s power level achieved new heights. He scales stronger than ever before and deals a tremendous amount of damage via his cleavers. This combined with the fact that other champions can now heal him without fear of Grievous Wounds means that he survives longer than ever before. He now truly goes where he pleases, even in jungle.
- Hecarim [God Tier Top] – After nerfs to Warlord’s Bloodlust, champions that synergize best with Fervor of Battle are now much stronger in comparison. When it comes to synergy with this skill, few do quite as well as Hecarim. The new switch from cooldown to ability damage also works well with him since his cooldowns were low to begin with. This gives him more burst damage instead.
- Heimerdinger [Tier 2 Mid] – The fact that everyone is running powerful AOE based mages with short cooldowns bodes very poorly for Heimerdinger, since his strongest feature is still his turrets. As a champion that does well against single-target dive heavy compositions but poorly against poke and AOE heavy compositions, Heimerdinger is suffering in the current meta.
- Karthus [Tier 1 Mid] – As some of you correctly pointed out, Karthus has an incredibly high uptime for Deathfire Touch. As such, his damage is much higher than before. The only thing really keeping him back is the fact that games end much faster paced in the current meta and his early game still is not that great considering the high cooldown on his ultimate.
- Kayle [Tier 1 Mid] – The nerf to Guinsoo’s sets back her early game a bit, dropping her out of God Tier.
- Kindred [Tier 1 Jungle] – Although Kindred is still the most unusual jungler in terms of skillset, she fits in surprisingly well in a variety of team compositions. Her ultimate is also a great equalizer against assassins or if her team happens to be lacking in a front liner.
- Olaf [Tier 2 Top] – As far as early game champions go, Olaf does very well. As a result, the faster meta does benefit him. The fact that many more of the popular marksman are orienting towards low mobility and high damage also means he has less trouble chasing down his prey.
- Quinn [Tier 1 Top/Mid] – After the huge buff on her Q damage, her win rate is absolutely through the roof on all roles. However, her play rate is so insanely low that it is hard to justify placing her anywhere near God Tier until we get some more data. Nevertheless, she is extremely powerful right now as a top lane bully and has extremely powerful burst in a 1v1 scenario.
- Trundle [Tier 1 Top] – Similar to Quinn, Trundle is showing a strong win rate surge on the charts. Primarily an anti-tank champion, Trundle does well providing there is a beefy champion around for him to steal stats off. However, he is still somewhat of a situational counter pick since he is very one-dimensional. The release of Dead Man’s Plate definitely helps him a ton when it comes to sticking to targets though.
- Vayne [God Tier Marksman] – After nerfs to Graves, Miss Fortune, and Lucian, Vayne is back on top as the premier tank slayer extraordinaire. The fact that her main counter Caitlyn is still in a relatively weak state also bodes well for Vayne.
- Xin Zhao [Tier 1 Jungle] – Similar to Kayle, the nerfs on Guinsoo definitely hit him hard. He is still a strong jungler, but takes a while to ramp.
- Yasuo [Tier 1 Mid] – As expected, the nerf to Warlord’s Bloodlust knocked Yasuo down a few pegs. He can still be strong, but is nowhere near God Tier for most games.