The Tier List
God Tier [Highest Influence]:
Mid-Lane Gods: Brand, Kayle, Yasuo, Anivia
Jungle Gods: Rammus, Jax, Xin Zhao, Skarner
Marksman Gods: Graves, Miss Fortune, Tristana
Top Lane Gods: Tryndamere, Malphite, Dr. Mundo, Kayle, Yasuo
Support Gods: Blitzcrank, Soraka, Janna, Nautilus, Taric
Tier 1 [Strong/Preferred Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Malzahar, Lux, Ahri, Vel’Koz, Twisted Fate, Swain, Ezreal (Hybrid), Annie, Diana, Morgana, Cho’Gath, Heimerdinger, Zyra, Lissandra, Wukong, Fizz
Jungle: Malphite, Amumu, Udyr, Nocturne, Vi, Tryndamere, Dr. Mundo, Maokai, Zac, Hecarim, Lee Sin
Marksman: Lucian, Jinx, Vayne, Draven, Kalista
Top Lane: Irelia, Renekton, Hecarim, Shen, Jax, Garen, Wukong, Vladimir, Lissandra, Jarvan IV, Rengar,Heimerdinger, Gangplank, Darius, Cho’gath, Gnar, Zac, Nasus, Singed, Diana, Swain, Aatrox
Support: Brand, Sona, Nami, Leona, Braum, Thresh
Tier 2 [Viable/Balanced Choices]:
Mid-Lane: Talon, Veigar, Galio, Katarina, Lulu (AP), Ziggs, Vladimir, Kog’maw (AP), Varus, Orianna, Xerath, Kennen, Gangplank, Karthus, Viktor, Leblanc, Kassadin, Ekko, Karma, Pantheon, Cassiopeia, Corki, Mordekaiser
Jungle: Shyvana, Volibear, Rek’Sai, Kayle, Warwick, Elise, Ekko, Sion, Fizz, Master Yi, Poppy, Wukong, Shaco, Aatrox, Nunu, Nautilus, Jarvan IV, Sejuani, Rengar, Fiddlesticks, Trundle, Kindred, Tahm Kench, Pantheon, Evelynn, Cho’Gath, Irelia
Marksman: Corki, Ashe, Sivir, Caitlyn, Kindred, Varus, Ezreal, Twitch, Quinn, Kog’Maw
Top Lane: Pantheon, Kennen, Fiora, Riven, Rumble, Lulu, Rek’Sai, Sion, Nautilus, Cassiopeia, Akali, Poppy, Xin Zhao, Morgana, Maokai, Yorick, Teemo, Karma, Malzahar, Nidalee, Quinn, Galio, Volibear, Fizz, Warwick, Zed, Trundle, Udyr, Lee Sin, Gragas, Jayce, Olaf, Viktor, Kha’Zix, Vi
Support: Vel’Koz, Lulu, Morgana, Alistar, Zyra, Tahm Kench, Shen, Bard, Annie, Lux, Karma, Xerath,
Tier 3 [Needs Higher Skill/Knowledge Than Usual]:
Mid-Lane: Jayce, Ezreal (AP), Syndra, Azir, Zed, Nidalee, Akali, Zilean, Teemo, Ryze, Master Yi, Gragas, Jarvan IV, Ezreal (AD), Urgot, Sona, Tahm Kench, Riven, Fiddlesticks, Kha’Zix, Malphite, Evelynn, Leona, Elise, Tristana (AP)
Jungle: Diana, Gragas, Olaf, Nidalee, Kha’Zix, Nasus, Karthus, Gangplank, Fiora, Zed, Malzahar, Leona, Riven, Darius, Shen, Yorick, Garen, Alistar
Marksman: Kennen, Mordekaiser, Urgot, Twisted Fate, Thresh
Top Lane: Ryze, Ekko, Mordekaiser, Master Yi, Talon, Karthus, Shyvana, Tahm Kench, Urgot, Kassadin, Azir, Alistar, Leblanc, Vayne, Nunu, Elise, Braum, Taric
Support: Volibear, Malphite, Veigar, Trundle, Zilean, Gragas, Maokai, Kayle, Kennen, Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Nidalee, Pantheon, Ashe, Anivia, Teemo, Lee Sin, Gangplank
Tier 4 [Low Benefits for Effort Used]:
Mid-Lane: Soraka, Janna
Top Lane: Rammus, Soraka
Support: Orianna, Poppy, Elise, Galio, Syndra, Yorick, Lissandra, Leblanc
Instructions and Caveats:
- Champions in BOLD I will talk about shortly
- Champions UNDERLINED may be over/undervalued, but aren’t/haven’t played enough for me to make a better judgement.
- Within each tier the champions are strongest from left to right, but within a tier each champion’s strength isrelatively close. This is especially true for Tiers 2 and 3 where these champions are ALL highly playable and player dependent on how strong they are in-game.
- This tier list takes data from ALL players; however, since the majority of players fall in the first three tiers, the majority of data points will come from there.
- Win Rates are important in analyzing each champion’s strength, but are not the end-all criteria for any champion’s position.
- The creator of this list is diamond, so there may be some personal bias towards higher tier play on certain champions.
- Anivia [God Tier Mid] – Anivia is one of the few AP carries that can sustain a large amount of up-time on her damage abilities. As you can see from this article that compares deathfire touch to thunderlord’s, champion that are able to continuously output large amounts of sustained damage end up gaining a significant boost from Deathfire Touch.
- Brand [God Tier Mid/Tier 1 Support] – Similar to Anivia, Brand also maintains a large amount of up-time on his skills, especially as it continues proccing on his passive burn. This makes him insanely strong at the moment as a result of the bonus mastery damage.
- Caitlyn [Tier 2 Marksman] – Although Caitlyn’s new rework does seem to make her stronger, she doesn’t seem to be synergizing quite as well with the new items as other marksman are. This mixes with the fact that champions like Graves simply outclass her at the moment and result in a weak sniper.
- Dr. Mundo [God Tier Top] – Executioner’s Calling seems like it should make Dr. Mundo extremely weak in the current meta. However, the new resolve mastery tree is AMAZING for defensive based top laners, and completely negates the would-be difficulties Mundo has with grievous wounds. The new perseverance mastery combined with Spirit Visage and Warmog’s makes Mundo absolutely impossible to move out of lane, and he deals a massive amount of burst damage with his new E as well.
- Ezreal (Hybrid) [Tier 1 Mid] – This one’s a bit of a dark horse that I’m guessing many of you have yet to see. I’ll write up a post on him later, but yes, it does involve Guinsoo’s Rageblade and Hextech Gunblade.
- Fiora [Tier 2 Top] – As a champion that doesn’t directly scale off critical hits and also makes poor use of the resolve tree, Fiora is starting to have trouble in the current Season 6 metagame. Marksmen are significantly stronger now, and deal almost as much burst damage as she does from longer range. This makes her niche somewhat difficult, especially as the resolve tree allows passive damage soaking from everyone peeling just from standing nearby.
- Graves [God Tier Marksman] – There’s a lot to say about why Graves is so overpowered right now, and I’d check out this article for more details. In a nutshell, too strong, too easy, too hard to kill.
- Hecarim [Tier 1 Top] – The new fervor mastery works extremely well with Hecarim as a result of his low cooldown nuke. This allows him to stack up much higher than many other top laners with ease. This allows him to trade very hard.
- Jax [God Tier Jungle] – The new Guinsoo’s Rageblade gives Jax an insanely strong jungle presence and overall damage boost. The reason why he does better in jungle than top lane is more of a testament to the fact that tanky/manaless champions are better top, whereas in jungle his ganks are better than those same champions in jungle.
- Kayle [God Tier Mid] – Guinsoo’s Rageblade made Kayle an absolute beast this patch, along with the rest of the hybrid champions.
- Malphite [God Tier Top] – With marksmen being all the rage, and Yasuo/Zed being the premier mid lane choices at the moment, Malphite does extremely well simply because stacking armor is his forte. He’s also a great initiator and combo starter with basically every team composition in the game. His lane phase isn’t completely intuitive, but it’s not exactly difficult either.
- Malzahar [Tier 1 Mid] – Similar to Anivia and Brand, his dots allow him extremely high uptime. The difference is that he doesn’t deal his damage over time in AOE form (his W aside). This means he doesn’t get quite as much mileage out of Deathfire Touch.
- Miss Fortune [God Tier Marksman] – As a natural early game powerhouse in a meta where games snowball quickly to an end, Miss Fortune excels. She also has a lot of small power boosts that aren’t avoidable, but do provide unobvious bonuses such as the 50% damage boost to her double up if the first hit kills a unit. The new Essence Reaver is also amazingly good on her. As a champion who typically has mana issues, this also takes away a former weak point.
- Mordekaiser [Tier 3 Marksman] – With the power level of the new marksman reworks combined with the strength of the Warlord’s Bloodlust mastery at the moment, Mordekaiser as a Marksman largely fell by the wayside.
- Rammus [God Tier Jungle] – Similar to Malphite, in a world of Yasuos and Marksman dominance, this becomes the same world the prophet Rammus comes into the spotlight. Speaking a single word and building only armor, he smites down even the mighty Graves passively with a mere “Ok”. The new resolve masteries are also amazingly good on him and allow him to scale up extremely hard.
- Riven [Tier 2 Top] – Similar to Fiora, the new masteries aren’t that good for glass cannon top laners who don’t rely on critical hits. She may actually be lower, but we’ll see if her current win rate is impacted by the new item changes, especially on Tiamat.
- Taric [God Tier Support] – A very similar case to a lot of the other god tier champions above, a world of heavy AD based champions and excellent mastery synergy make him very viable again.
- Tryndamere [God Tier Top/Tier 1 Jungle] – Warlord’s Bloodlust should be getting hot fixed sometime this week, but in the meantime Tryndamere is insanely strong top lane and absolutely impossible to trade with. Meanwhile, his jungle is definitely very strong as well, but still suffers from subpar ganks. I’ll likely move him soon after the mastery changes hit live once we see where he lands.
- Wukong [Tier 1 Top] – Again, as a champion who doesn’t rely on critical hits or synergy well with the resolve tree, Wukong’s finally dropped out of God Tier this patch after a long reign. He also has trouble performing his usual task of deleting marksmen nowadays. The new passive Bond of Stone mastery is definitely causing a few issues for champions like Wukong. He still performs his job better than others though, as his assassination also contains an AOE knock-up.
- Xin Zhao [God Tier Jungle] – Similar to Jax, Guinsoo’s Rageblade is outrageous on Xin. HIs early game ganks are also very good, and synergize well with the new jungle paths.
- Yasuo [God Tier Mid] – Similar to Tryndamere, we’ll see how he does after the Warlord mastery hotfix. However, I suspect that Yasuo will be a bit better off in comparison, since the new Statikk Shiv is extremely good on him.